What is Medical Nutrition Therapy?
Also known as Medical nutrition therapy – As the experts in food and nutrition, we can advise you on the specific nutritional management of many health conditions. We can work with your doctors and health professionals to optimise your therapy plan.
Medical Nutritional Therapy is the nutritional diagnosis and therapy using specialised meal plans and lifestyle changes to treat, manage or prevent nutrition-related health conditions. Through Medical Nutritional Therapy, we aim to facilitate long term behaviour changes by encouraging and guiding the self-management of health through nutrition, diet and other lifestyle modifications.
How we can help!
In a consult we will explore your current nutrition and lifestyle situation and conduct a nutrition assessment to help us design your individual Nutrition health management plan. This will be a flexible, easy to follow, suitable and manageable plan that takes into consideration your food likes and dislikes, cooking skills, budget and lifestyle. The Nutrition Plan will:
- Coach you in aspects of what to eat and how much
- Be tailored to your food preferences, budget and cooking skills
- Provide you with ideas and recipes for quick, delicious meals
- Teach you techniques to fully satisfy appetite
- Manage symptoms with diet
- Improve overall health and wellbeing
Dietary Management of Health Conditions
Dietitians are trained to use “Food as Medicine’, to manage, treat or prevent nutrition related medical conditions. Here at Total Nutrition Dietitian we are open minded and flexible and will work with any preferred protocols or eating patterns to optimise nutrition and minimise the exclusion of vital nutrients. We understand the complex nature of a wide variety of health conditions and can provide solutions in many areas including:
- Gastrointestinal Health – Crohns, Colitis and all IBD
- Treatment for reflux and GORD
- FODMAPS for the treatment of IBS
- Lower Cholesterol
- Dash diet Blood Pressure
- Manage blood sugars in Type 2 Diabetes
- Managing side effects and surgery for Cancer
- Kidney disease
- Healthy eating for Fertility, Pregnancy and Breastfeeding
Plus, many more conditions.